Friday, April 18, 2008

A POEM - LIFE IS A TALE THAT MUST BE TOLD

LIFE IS A TALE THAT MUST BE TOLD
Writing used to be this ritual for me.
I had a routine,
When I was treating it like a full time job.
Wake in the morning,
Eat breakfast, walk the dog,
Get settled at the desk,
check the emails, read the news online,
and finally hit the keys.
But now I don’t have a dog,
I don’t have a desk,
I eat whenever I’m hungry,
When there’s food around.
Get online to check the emails when I can,
And write wherever I am.
On buses or trains,
by the side of the road,
Sitting cross-legged in surf sheds,
In beds or chairs or on the ground.
It doesn’t fucking matter
where or how or when,
it just matters
that the words go to the page.
The words are like prisoners,
released from the penitentiary of my mind.
To form the story that has to be written.
Life is a tale that must be told.

No comments: