Friday, April 18, 2008

A POEM - EVEN A LITTLE COULD BE TOO MUCH

EVEN A LITTLE COULD BE TOO MUCH
The waiter came out with my vegetable casserole,
Put it down in front of me.
I’d just walked nearly two miles
In the rain from the train station,
With a huge pack on my back.
I’d only eaten a few bites of bread
Since the day before.
“oh, boy. This looks good,” I said,
Examining the dish.
“yess. It’s very goodd,” he said,
Staring dumbly at me for a moment, then leaving.
I took a few bites and it was very good.
There were all sorts of vegetables,
In some delicious sauce,
And a sprinkling of cheese melted on top.
But it needed more cheese.
“excuse me,” I said, waving down the waiter.
“yess? Iss everything, all rightt?”
“yeah, yeah. It’s great. Very good,
but could I get some more cheese?”
“OH!” he shouted, completely disgusted,
Or like a bee had snuck into his pants,
And stung him on the ass.
“OH! More cheese?! I...I...let me seee!”
He stormed off, shaking his head,
muttering, “more cheese? MORE cheese?”
In a minute he came back with another pinch,
sprinkled it on the casserole.
After he’d done that he looked down at me,
still shaking his head.
“more cheese?” he scoffed, before stomping away.
“more cheese?! Oh!”
I turned and saw a man at another table,
A mysterious little smirk on his face.
“hmm,” I thought, starting back in on the casserole.
“I better watch my ass here.”

No comments: