Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A POEM - WATCHING THEM DIE

WATCHING THEM DIE
One day a while back
Before my grandma died,
I took her out to lunch.
But she was already
Permanently out to lunch.
We were sitting there
At the table, some chain
Italian restaurant.
I was taking down a pizza
And across the table
She was smacking her lips and
clicking her tongue,
twisting up her mouth
to try and dislodge
a chunk of food
from her back teeth.
‘Jack, dear,’ she said,
‘have you ever seen a man
put to death?’
I nearly spat out
a mouthful of Coke and replied,
‘Jesus, Nana. No, I haven’t.’
She jammed another
mozzarella stick into the dish
of blood red marinara sauce
and said to me,
with a twinkle in her eye,
‘Well, would you like to?’”
"Nana, why the hell would I wanna see that?"
She looked at me through her wild eyes,
"It's an experience."

No comments: