Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A POEM - IT WAS MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW

IT WAS MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW
It was hard to put things together
In those days, those nights.
I woke up one morning
It was new years day.
Thought I’d call home,
Wish the ex a happy birthday
And say hello to my best friend.
Went into that travel service station,
Went near the phone.
There was a guy sitting there,
Shooting the breeze.
Not working, not paying,
Not doing anything.
He had his 9mm there on the table
I picked it up and looked into the barrel.
He took it from me,
Popped out the clip,
Gave it back,
A silent, scolding expression on his face.
“nice,” I said, admiring it. “niner?”
“yes. Nine millimeter.”
I nodded and handed it back.
Made a phone call.
That was how things went for me in Cambodia.

No comments: