Sunday, March 23, 2008

A POEM - IT WAS THE GREATEST THING I'D EVER HEARD

IT WAS THE GREATEST THING I’D EVER HEARD
I was sitting there, at the ‘restoran.’
Drinking my beer and sipping at my tea,
Waiting for my food to come out of the oven.
There was a small crowd in the place,
Some who spoke English and most who didn’t.
Then, over the television
and the faint 80’s American rock,
Between the Bahasa language and the laughter,
I heard an old man’s voice saw through it all.
“hey, I know you. Oh, I fuckin’ know you!” he said.
“Yeah. Twenty years ago! Twenty years ago,”
then he paused, finally continuing,”
“twenty years ago, you stole my bicycle!”
I looked over and saw this little man,
Pointing a little gnarled finger
at another little old man.
I began to chuckle, and then laugh,
And finally I was crying with laughter.
It was the greatest thing I’d ever heard.

No comments: