Thursday, March 20, 2008

A POEM - ENOUGH WASN'T ENOUGH, IT WAS TOO MUCH

ENOUGH WASN’T ENOUGH, IT WAS TOO MUCH
I was sitting there by the curbside
At the airport, my ripped and worn bags
Dumped all around me.
He pulled up in his car,
took one long look at me and said,
“well, we all fall upon hard times now and then.
We need somebody to come by and grab us
By the hair on the back of our heads,
And pull our faces from the mud and muck.”
I tossed my bags into the back
and got into the front.
I turned to him and nodded as we drove away,
Then went back to staring out the window.
The whole god-awful world
was passing by in front of me,
And all I wanted to do
was curl up into a ball,
Hide out in the dark
and wait for death to come
And pluck me out of there.
"maybe enough wasn't enough," I said, finally.
"maybe it was too much."

No comments: