Friday, March 14, 2008

A POEM - ALL NIGHT LONG (NOT THE MAN I USED TO BE)

ALL NIGHT LONG (NOT THE MAN I USED TO BE)
I came a long way from Singapore today,
By foot and then subway and then ferry,
Then plane and then motorbike and by foot again.
I booked into my five dollar room,
And found the switch for the fan,
The one to make it stop circulating,
Had been ripped out somewhere along the line.
I realized then I’d come a long way,
From the purely destructive, maniacal bastard
I used to be, back in college,
Back on Belknap Street, back THEN,
When I used to saw televisions in half,
And turn the kitchen into a driving range,
With the use of a wood driver
And a recycling bin full of beer bottles.
No, no. now I was a resourceful,
Fix-anything motherfucker.
So instead of just throwing the fan
Through the window,
I tore into my bag and found some scissors,
And a wine opener,
And jerry-rigged a pair of pliers,
And made it so that fan blew straight on me,All night long, all night long.

No comments: