Sunday, May 11, 2008

A POEM - THAT CRAZY BITCH NEARLY KILLED ME

THAT CRAZY BITCH NEARLY KILLED ME
“oh, you’ll be back here,” she said to me.
“in three, six or nine months.”
“oh, yeah?” I asked,
more concerned about how
she was trying to drive,
light a cigarette,
turn up and down the volume of the radio
and sip a Coke at the same time.
“yeah, it’s true.
I know it because
I get messages
from the arch angel Gabriel.”
“you do, huh?”
I thought she was soon likely
to get a message
from the Western Australian Highway Patrol.
“yeah, and I’m also very affected
by other people’s moods,
their thoughts.”
I was eyeing the passenger side airbag,
thinking that very soon
I’d probably be getting to know it
more intimately that I wanted to,
as we swerved between lanes,
while she dropped burning cigarettes
on the floor
and spilled Coke all over herself
while also trying to pretend
like none of it was happening.
“yeah, very affected by the moods
of the people around me.”
“oh, all right.”
She turned over to me and said,
“and I don’t feel good,”
Then kept staring into my eyes.
I noticed a truck coming
and nodded towards the road.
She looked over at the last second
and said, “oh!” and began to laugh.
I sighed and thought,
“christ, what hell
did I get myself into this time?”

No comments: