Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A POEM - THE LUCKY ONE SO FAR

THE LUCKY ONE SO FAR
We’d been driving through the desert
me and Kiwi.
He was the only
real
living
contemporary
big time
criminal I’d ever met.
The list of his offenses was long and vile,
and I was sure he’d only spoken to me
of the nicer ones,
as I was a hitch hiker
he’d picked me up only a half hour back.
Finally out there in
the dark
I asked him,
“so, what do you like best about
being a criminal?
The easy money?
the rush?
getting back at the Man?”
He kept his eyes on the road
but I could tell he was doing
some serious thinking.
After a few long minutes he said to me,
“everything.
I like the easy money,
the rush of pulling something off,
the chicks.
Man, I like it all.”
We rode on in silence for a while
and then I offered,
“well, that’s cool.
That you’ve actually found something
you enjoy doing.
That doesn’t seem to happen for most people.”
He smiled and steered on into the night.

No comments: